Oh hey! It’s my 2️⃣7️⃣th birthday soon! 🎉
As most of you know, I am trying to reduce my waste. This adventure has been touching so many parts of my life and I have been trying to find a maintainable balance. It also means I am questioning the social constructs that have a habit of generating waste, and at this time of year, I am focussing on birthdays, specifically.. my birthday 😉
I have devised a list of things that I want or need, I believe this will reduce not only waste but stress, time and money as well.
- 🧼 Soap bars! You can never have too many in my opinion.. Ask Ben. My favourite flavours are fresh and fruity
- 💁 Shampoo bars! My favourite is Lush’s Montalbano but always happy to try other brands/flavours
- 🕯 Soy-based candles, votive-style sans glass cup would be perfect 👌
- 🌱 Peace lily plant. These guys don’t mind the shade and our house can be quite dark. Also, they have amazing air purifying properties 😍
- ♻ Rapanui (🗣️ Rappa-newy, not Rapan-U-I apparently) tees. I really need some basic tees and I really want the organic/circular economy ones this brand does. I’m probably a size 14/M, but I need to check
- Circular Economy Top
- Pacific Nepp Organic T-shirt
- Atlantic Nepp Organic T-shirt
- 🧘 Lucy & Yak cork yoga mat (sustainable and cool!?)
- 🤧 White handkerchiefs. This is something that has been missing from my zero-waste kit! Ideally not new (charity shop?) or organic cotton.
- 👕 ‘But first, tea’ tee by deliciousmonstertea (Fitted, large)
- ⚱ A ‘tit pot’ by Pot Yer Tits Away Luv - although these are almost always sold out 😭
- 📖 Sawbones: The Hilarious, Horrifying Road to Modern Medicine
I really love supporting local, small, independent companies especially ones with a Girl Boss. I also love handmade things.
⚠ Controversial opinion ⚠ Gift wrapping is not required!
What!? Yup. Believe it or not, I will be as delighted and appreciative of your gift whether it has been initially hidden from view or not.
If one really must have the element of surprise, use an old amazon box, newspaper or even wrap it in your favourite patterned scarf (I promise I will give it back!)
Can I at least give you a card?
Sure, if you want, although sending me a message on WhatsApp or Messenger are equally as good and it saves you a trip to the shops.
When you think about it, all these social constructs that we hold each other to are quite strange.